Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2013

06/02/13 - Learning Styles

Today we looked at the different learning styles and created a document showing each learning style in detail.  For example, here is some information about social style learners:

People with a strong social style tend to communicate well with people and are typically understanding and listen to other people’s views.  They also prefer learning in groups and enjoy talking to others.

Some phrases that are commonly used by social learners are:
"Let's work together on this"
"We can work it out"
"Tell me what you are thinking"
"Help me understand this"
"Let's pull some people together to discuss"
"Let's explore our options"

Learning techniques-
Social learners aim to work with other as much as possible and using techniques such as role-playing is a good way of learning whilst in a group.   Another useful technique is creating mind maps in groups as different people may have different views that they can input. 
Working in groups is also beneficial because errors made by others can then be avoided in the future.

After looking at each learning style- I took and online quiz to find out which learning style I am and therefore which learning techniques would benefit me when learning.
The scores I received for each type of learning are shown in the graph on the right and below:
 

-Visual12
-Social17
-Physical9
-Aural11
-Verbal10
-Solitary6
-Logical11

My highest score was social and I think that this is accurate because I always prefer being around people and communicating with people.  I also prefer to discuss ideas with others and I am more confident when working with a  team.  As I am a social learner I will benefit from techniques such as group role playing and making group mind maps to help me learn.


I think that finding out my learning style will help me in the future.  One of my weaknesses was knowing which information is relevant to which question in exams and I think that I could use techniques such as group mind maps so that I can discuss the work with others when revising- this will help me improve and will hopefully turn my weakness into a strength.

1 comment: